Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Lymph nodes in the groin area. Should I worry ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
I have lymph nodes in my grion area. I'm scared its hiv. Any help? I'm scared to go to doctors.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
First of all, let me reassure you that merely having enlarged lymph nodes does not mean that you have HIV infection.
Lymph nodes are a part of the defence system of the body and are enlarged if there is an infection or inflammation of the area it is draining.
Groin lymph nodes are called "Inguinal lymph nodes" in Medical terms. They receive as afferents lymphatic vessels from many areas like the penis, scrotum, buttocks, abdominal wall among other places.
These lymph nodes will be enlarged if there is any infection or inflammation of these areas. Hence please visit a doctor to get examined. They are not harmful and go away when the cause of enlargement is cured.
However, if you have a history of exposure to a potential source of HIV in the last 72 hours, please consult your treating physician as soon as possible. There are drugs which if taken within 72 hours of exposure can prevent you from becoming HIV positive.
Please see your treating physician who will be able to examine you and order some investigations to know the exact cause of the enlarged lymph nodes.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow up queries.
Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor