Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Lung infection. Acute pain in abdominal, lumbar region. Tests done. Taken Buscopan, Omeropizole, pain killers, anti-biotics. No relief. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
For about 6 weeks I have been experiencing a sharp crushing pain in the centre of my chest and across my stomach - the pain also extends down the right hand side of my stomach and around to my back above the hip bone. The pain is fairly constant although it worsens through the day and eating does not seem to affect the severity. I do not have blood pressure problems, have not been sick, had dioreha but very slight constipation. I am not having any breathing difficulties. I had various checks done in XXXXXXX last year (x-rays etc) and a lung infection was found for which I am on long term anti-biotics - it is not TB but a microbaterial infection. I don't think the ant-biotics are the problem because I have been taking from XXXXXXX 2011 with no pain until recently. I have tried various OTC painkillers and my doctor firstly prescribed buscopan and then omeropizole. I find the pain is largely unchanged whether or not I'm resting or moving.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for this pain. Three possibilities need to be ruled out from your symptoms:

1)     Pleuritis causing pleurisy which may be a result of complication of infection by mycobacteriaum other than tuberculosis. The main symptom of pleurisy is pain in the chest. This pain often occurs when you take a XXXXXXX breath in or out, or cough.

2)     Second possibility is of gall bladder disease which can cause pain under the right ribs and upper abdomen

3)     Third possibility although less likely is of any kidney disease which can cause pain in the abdominal region radiating to the back or lumbar region.
To rule out these possibilities it is advisable to get a CT scan chest and abdomen done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor