Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Lumps on armpits, pus, dark blood, also in vaginal area, overweight. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hi im 19 years old and i have these lumps under my skin on my armpits i tried poping them and pus and dark dark blood came out. but they filled back up this has been happening for a year now i have this problom with both armpits except on right armpit the lump it above the skin and i can see it but when i pop it it has the same reaction as the underskin lumps. in ocasion i get these same outer skin lumps in my vaginal area but those when they pop do go away. i am soverweight if is the weight the issue what should i do??
Mon, 21 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms it looks like infected hair follicles causing folliculitis and the second possibility is of Hidradenitis suppurativa. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Obesity may be a predisposing factor but it is not the sole causative factor for folliculitis. So your being obese does not cause it.

Hydradenitis suppurativa occurs when apocrine gland become plugged and lesions usually appear in armpits and groins. It is more common in females and may be due to infected hair follicles or excessive sweating. Obesity makes it worse however this condition is not caused by obesity and weight loss will improve but not cure it.

I suggest you to try avoiding inflammatory foods and foods high in refined carbohydrates. Apply warm compresses on the bumps and some topical antibiotics creams like Bactroban.

If the symptoms persist then you can consult your doctor to get prescribed oral antibiotics. If still the lumps persist then specific treatment like Vit A supplements, corticosteroid injections, Isotretinoin, Antiandrogens and sometimes excision and drainage ,laser therapy and radiotherapy are found useful and can be tried. You can consult a dermatologist in that case as these medicines are available by prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor