Lump under armpit. Blood comes after squeezing. Should I be worried for lymphoma and cyst?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Lymphoma
Question: My husband has a huge lump under his right armpit. It's the size of a rock and very hard. Blood came out of it when he showered and he said afterwards when applying deodorant, it was painful. Is this something to be worried about? Lymphoma, cyst etc? He said he noticed it when it was smaller about a month ago and it has grown tremendously in size. I'm thinking of contacting his PCP. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
A large rock hard lump under the armpit with pain could be due to-
1. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
2. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
3. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
4. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.