Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Lump outside knee after fall, does not pain or restrict movement. Have iced it. Is it safe for me to go to bed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
I tripped about an hour was not a hard fall but I immediately developed a lump on the outside of my right knee...does not hurt or restrict my movement.I have been icing it safe for me to go to bed, it is 4 am!!!!or better to stay up for a while?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns. The lump (swelling) appears to be just external injury. There will be collection of small amount of blood (hematoma) after a fall. This will be associated with certain amount of edema (swelling with collection of fluid). Hence this is not a major injury and the treatment of applying ice you have used was correct.

You don’t need any more treatment as of now since there are no other symptoms. You can go back to sleep peacefully.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor