Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Lump on the collarbone, sore neck. Family history of lung cancer. Suffering from pelvic congestion syndrome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 189 Questions
Hi Im 34 yr old female I have noticed a solid lump on my collarbone on the right side I also have a sore neck at that side Im a bit worried as my mum died last year with lung cancer and her lumps were there and she had stage 4 cancer she died very quickly. I suffer from pelvic congestion syndrome and have problems with veins could this be connected. The lump is not painful although it is now as I have pressing at it , it seems to be attached to my collar bone. thanks
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

1. Non painful solid lump attached to collar bone with family history of lung cancer needs thorough examination and screening.
- Since when you noticed the swelling?
- Is it increasing in size?
- Do you have any other symptoms like cough, loss of weight / appetite / any pain or stiffness in right shoulder?

Sudden appearance of a swelling or sudden increase in size of swelling, loss of weight / appetite can be a sign of tumour.

2. I don't think it is related to pelvic congestion syndrome

3. It is better you get a detailed examination by an orthopaedician. Your doctor might look for similar swelling anywhere in body / characteristic of the swelling / any nodes nearby. He might take an x-ray of the lump and if needed whole skeletal survey to look for similar swelling anywhere else.

4. If deemed appropriate, a biopsy of the lump can be done. Biopsy reports will reveal the true nature of the lump.

5. Based on your current description, it can be a simple node (? attached to bone) or a benign cyst or a secondary in clavicle. Management follows only after arriving at diagnosis by clinical examination, if needed skeletal survey +/- biopsy. I encourage you to visit your physician / orthopedician for detailed evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need more help.
Please close this discussion if you have no more follow ups.

Get well soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor