Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Lump on perineum, pains on palpation, seems to have increased in size. What could it be and its treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6240 Questions
Well I didn't realize I was on a Q&A site. Maybe you can lead me in the right direction. This past week I found a small (pea size) lump on my perineum (sp?) behind my scrotum. It is hard to the touch and is painful upon palpation. My initial thought was it was some kind of deep pimple. It feels like it is definatley in the dermal layer. Initially I treated it with Clearasil and some Advil and warm showers. It seemed to go down/reduce in size. The past couple of days it increased in size and became painful again.

I'm thinking it is some kind of blockage or inflamed something or other. Maybe some kind of infection. I'm not sure. I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic so I have some knowledge but this is beyond my knowledge and to be honest I don't even know what type of Doctor to go to. Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 58 minutes later
Hello ,
Thanks for the query.

It can be a pilonidal sinus, or an infected sebaceous cyst.

I am using medical terms as I believe you will easily understand them.

Can you please upload a photograph of the lesion,
This will help me in giving a nearer diagnosis.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lump on perineum, pains on palpation, seems to have increased in size. What could it be and its treatment? 12 minutes later
A picture will not show much. It is just a lump under the skin. To be honest it is somewhat shaped like a tadpole. Larger and round at one end then it tapers down to almost a point. There is no discoloration in the skin unless it's irritated from me messing with it. I did try to pop it with no luck and I thought about lancing it. But decided it would be better to see a Dr. Like I said I'm not even sure where to go. Maybe a dermatologist? That would be an appropriate choice if it is cyst or similar.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 30 minutes later
Hello .
As you mentioned, if the lesion is below the skin most probably it is a cyst. Actually cysts in this area need to be removed completly with capsule.
So please dont try to incise it. These cysts are removed by dermatologist by simple surgery with knife or by using cutting laser. So in my view you must XXXXXXX a dermatologist. I dont think any medical treatment would help you. It need surgery. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor