Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Lump on left breast, nipple discharge. Is biopsy required, can it grow larger?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
Hello, recently I found a lump in the left breast of my 3 year old son. On examination there was a bloody nipple discharge. His pediatrician sent the swab in and the gram stain reports 1+ WBC seen 1+ epithelial seen NO bacteria seen. As well he went for an ultrasound and the impression states 1.6 superficial ill define, lobulated hypoechoic lesion adjacent to the left nipple. May represent prominent ductal and breast parenchymal elements secondary to gynecomastia. Alternatively, this may represent a benign hemangioma or a venous malformation. Based on this would you recommend a biopsy? Can it grow larger? Would you recommend removing it?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As there was bloody discharge from nipple on examination, please get cytological examination of biopsy done for diagnosis.

Answer to "can it grow larger?" will depend on biopsy report.

Recommendation to remove will also depend on diagnosis.

As examination and palpation helps in diagnosis, it will be better if you can get your child examined by a general surgeon also.

Instead of pediatrician, an experienced general Surgeon will be in a better position to help you in diagnosis and deciding line of treatment.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor