Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Lump on labia with no white top. What?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi yesterday i noticed i have a small thing, with no white top in my labia, so im wondering what could be, it is small one like a pea size, no pain
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 10 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Lump on the labia can be due to:
1) Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment).
It usually resolves by itself in few days but if infection sets in then antibiotics may be required.

2) Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

3) Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful.

A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Till then, you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. There is no harm in putting a calamine lotion in that area. You can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter for symptomatic relief.

If there is development of any pain, discharge or increases in size, consider visiting a Gynecologist for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lump on labia with no white top. What? 1 hour later
Thank you for the answer !!! Lets say if it it Bartholin's Cyst ( because from what you said, description I mean ) Is it ok if i have intercourse or i should wait till is gone ?? Any chance to disappear by itsself ??? Thanks a lot !!
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 52 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It is better to avoid intercourse, otherwise you can consider using condom as it would prevent infection to spread further. Lump might also cause discomfort during the act.

If the infection has not set in then, it can resolve by itself. But, if there is pus formation, then antibiotics might be required for it to resolve.

Hope, this explains your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Wishing you Good Health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor