Lump on inner labia

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Mar 2019 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I need “lady issue” advice. I had a lump on my inner labia that was the size of a pea but it’s grown to the size of a small marble. I’m thinking it’s a Bartholin’s cyst (or probably an abcesss as it is very tender to touch and uncomfortable to sit/walk). My Gyno can’t see me until the 5th which. I’ve been taking Sitz baths and I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do? I also should mention that I’ve had the flu and been on tamiflu, although I don’t think the two are connected in any way (lucky me!)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper antibiotics will help.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.
The small swelling that you have noticed is likely to be due to a bartholin's cyst or folliculitis. Since it is painful, it suggests an infection in the area. This needs proper antibiotics in addition to anti inflammatory pain killers to control the infection. You can start with Aleve and get proper antibiotics after consulting your gynecologist. You can also apply a topical antibiotic like Neosporin H ointment for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Will it be ok to wait till the 5th to see my Gyno? It was when they could fit me in (11 days away).
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do attend ER if swelling becomes more painful.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can start with topical antibiotic and pain killer and see if it helps. In case the swelling and pain increases then it is best to attend an ER and not wait till 5th for further treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana