Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Lump in the cervix. Have to go for a pap smear test. Cancer chances?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Thank you! I have a hard lump on my cervix as well as a depression to the side of it with what feels like a slightly messy edge. I've booked in for a pap test. i understand that it is likely to be just a cyst, but nontheless I'm concerned about cancer. I'm 42 years old with two children, youngest age 8.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You have observed a hard lump in your cervix and you also have history of irregular and heavy bleeding.

It is good that you are getting your ‘PAP smear; test done. That will determine if there is any dysplasia or abnormal cell growth. If there is, a colposcopy and biopsy needs to be done.

There can be many causes for lump in cervix like nabothian cyst which is a benign cyst of the cervix. It could also be due to irritation from trauma (following vaginal delivery or a tampon), polyp from the upper cervical canal or the lining of the uterine cavity (endometrium), nodule, wart, infection apart from cervical carcinoma.

So do not be worried. Go ahead with the Pap smear. I will be available to provide you with more information upon knowing the results of Pap smear

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor