Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

161 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Lump in neck above collar bone. Was recommended aspiration of the area. Should I see An ENT or a dermatologist for this issue?

Answered by
Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 9792 Questions

Posted on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I suddenly developed a lump in my neck slightly above the collar bone--I had been doing pt for neck issues--the ent immediately ordered an aspiration of the area --it was done at the hospital and the pathologist dx is nodular fasciitis---and slide results on that day were clear ------ent will see me in 3 weeks---I am not sure which specialist handles this issue--I always prefer a conservative approach and willing to wait the few weeks----the hard lump is there but with the aspiration it is not noticeable andn it physically appears smaller-----just trying to determine is I am on the correct path----the ent it an excellent physician-----thanks for your imput---
I just want to determine that I am with the correct physician----suggestions to me have been made to see a dermatologist----and I wonder if the pt for my neck using tens and hands on physical therapy could have created an inflammation----the pt helped my neck and have done pt for years with great success and meds not needed -----
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Hi and wlcome to XXXXXXX Thank you fo your querry.
Of course you dont need to see dermatologist. ENT or surgeon know much more about subcutaneous lesions, its removal and hystologic analysis. In this area most common subcutaneous benign tumors are lipomas, atheroma, fibroma or swollen lymph node. Nodular fasciits is nonspecific finding and it tells us nothing but it is good that malignancy is ruled out. I suggest to wait and see will it progress or become inflammated. IF yes, it should be surgically removed. It can be done in local anatshesia and is simple procedure.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Fibroma

doctor1 MD

I have pain in the center of my chest near the bottom of my ribcage. sometimes it hurts and burns at the same time. I also have several lumps on my chest and in my left breast. they usually don't bother me but when I get cold they hurt until I...

doctor1 MD

Hello my name is Toni and I was at my doctor the other day for nipple discharge that only comes out if I squezze it out, now I have been lactating for years after my daughters birth and always came out white, now it comes out white and like a very...

doctor1 MD

I have what looks like a mushroom shape about the size of a pencil eraser. It is exposed muscle and it has popped through the skin on my right middle finger just below the 1st bend. I thought I had a sticker in it and tried to dig it out, I got a...

doctor1 MD

For several years now I've had difficulty breathing due to what feels like the muscles around my rib cage constricting. It feels like I can't expand my chest properly. In addition i've had severe back, shoulder and neck pain accompanying this.

For awhile i had tingling in my hands, feet and face, but this went away after awhile.

Tests were negative for cancer, lupus, arthritis, and pericarditis. Chest Xrays were normal. Blood tests /did/ show severe anemia, but improving my diet by adding more red meat only stopped the tingling. Medication allergy was ruled out by taking me off them. Anxiety ruled out.

Anti inflammatories and inhalers are NOT effective against it. Every doctor I've seen about this has been stumped. The sleep supplement Melotonin has actually been /very/ effective against it. But the supplement started causing rapid heart rate. Still, when i finished, the condition was 95 to 99 percent GONE.

The most recent Doctor insists its asthma because he ordered a methocholine test. But the methocholine test made it WORSE. It caused an acute asthmatic reaction where i'd previously had NO history of asthma, undid /all/ the good done by the melatonin, and then made a bad situation worse. And the doctor REFUSES to believe that it /wasn't/ asthma causing the problem.

Present in the place i was living at at the time were high amounts of bleach and ammonia based cleaners, dust, mice, insects. The woman I was renting a room from used easy off EVERY time she cleaned and the smell of the easy off, ammonia, lysol and bleach would cause a breathing reaction. In addition, she lent me something she said was a tylanol sleep aid, was marked as a sleep aid, but after things I went through with her i do NOT trust her anymore.

Preexisting conditions: Aspergers disorder, lypoma (benign fatty growth), Fibroma (benign fibrous growth), /extreme/ period pains, intestinal difficulties, dust allergies, wool allergies, occasional pet allergies, and hayfever.

Family health problems that I don't have but are genetic to my mother and father include high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, depression, and anxiety.

Everyone i've seen has tried to make it seem like anxiety or attention seeking behavior, believing its all in my head when I'm in REALLY serious physical distress! I need a list, something that I can look up and reference and BRING to my doctor.

doctor1 MD


I am a 48 year old white female. I was told a year ago I have a fibroid tumor in my uterus. I have been experiencing numbness in my arms below my elbows and hands and they tend to swell, what could be the cause? I was wondering if the fibroid could be pushing on my sciatic nerve?

doctor1 MD

I have had surgery on my sciatic nerve and a fibroma was removed from inside the nerve. I had severe pain in the nerve before the surgery that was done in October 2013, however I still have the same severe pain and I am wondering if this will be permanent.

doctor1 MD

I have a lump in my upper left arm. I also have one my left breast. Could hey be connected? I had a mamogram and sonogram test today on the breast and they are thinking it is a fibroid tumor but they did no test on the arm.
I go to the doctor in two days to do a pelvic sono because the doctor thinks he found a fibroid tumor on my uterus during my physical today. Could these be connected? Should I ask for biobsy on all three? Should I ask for a cancer blood test (if one exists?)
I also suspect I have gallbladder problems because I have pain in my right rib area. Could this be connected?