Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Lump below ear, fills like cyst, minimal pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have lump that that swells on the back of my jaw bone below my right ear its happened a couple times now the last three weeks. it last about a hour or 2 it fills like a cyst but is the size of a golf ball the pain is very minimal
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1)     It can be due to submandibular gland swelling which is due to an obstruction in the salivary duct commonly due to a stone.

2)     Second possibility is of parotid gland infection which can be due to mumps or parotitis due to bacterial or viral causes.

3)     Third possibility is of any stone in the salivary gland or a benign cyst of the area.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

You can also send me the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at the photographs and it will help me in understanding the condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor