Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

184 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Lump appeared on knee cap and it is sore to touch. What should I do to get relief?

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 1417 Questions

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i just fell down on my knee area about one hour ago and now i have a lump just below the knee cap and it is sore to the touch. it happend at a dance the floor was stickey,my left foot stuck to the floor my body keep going forward and down i went
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later

Sorry, to hear about that.

Few things you can try are - restrict the joint movements, reduce weight bearing, apply ice, keep limb elevated , use compression and take oral analgesics for pain.

Such lumps can be due to either joint effusion or subcutaneous hematoma.

All such cases of knee should be primarily investigated with xray and if needed MRI.
MRI is needed when ligament, meniscal or tendon injury is suspected.

So do consider to see an orthopedic doctor.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Joint effusion

doctor1 MD

I've had hip pain for a year, started after I had a vaginal hysterectomy(I'm thinking placement of my legs during surgery may have caused this), my MRI states I have a "large fovea centralism on the left, associated bone marrow edema within and...

doctor1 MD

My mother fall down on a slippery area, attahced is mri report, can you pls review and give opinion, does this need surgery or physiotherapy

doctor1 MD

unable to raise my left arm without severe pain or unassisted. most likely injured the shoulder doing pull-ups and push ups in late April. Took two months off from exercising and it was getting better then took a fall off a bike directly onto the...

doctor1 MD

My 13 month old had a fever for a few days. Pedi said she had a viral throat infection. Fever didn't go away so we went back in and they said she had a uti and put her on amoxcillian for 10 days. 2 days after being diagnosed with uti her right knee became swollen and was hard for her to bend or flex it. We had xrays done at our local hospital which showed no fracture and did some blood work.   The next day we were told to take her to a childrens hospital to see orthopedic and rhemologist.  She was admitted for the night. Had a knee aspiration done. Which showed no signs of infection.  Xrays showed soft tissue swelling and joint effusion.  Negative for Lyme and RA factor was also negative. Her sed rate the first day of blood work was 120 and the next days blood work it was 105.  Could all her symptoms be making the sed rate that high? Is it a good sign that it dropped in 24 hours??she seems perfectly fine otherwise.