Lump appeared at the opening of anus. Noticed some blood. Cancer?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Colon Cancer
Question: Greatings Sir/Madam,

I'm a 25-year old male and recently a lump of the size of a bean appeared at the opening of my anus. It is painful when I sit or I touch it but it is not if I somehow leave it alone. Then thing is I see sometimes some sort of red blood on the toilet paper but I always thought it was because of the papers, so I never saw a doctor. Then I turned vegetarian while ago and this blood did not come anymore. I'm a very healthy person and I usually don't go to doctor unless there is a serious problem. But this time, for the first time, I'm worried because I saw many reports about anus cancer and colonel cancer which have the same cause. Could you help me out?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all some good news for you. You should not worry about colon cancer at your age. This disease is vary rare, especially at your age. Only about 3-5% of all people will have this cancer, most of them at the age over 50.
This lump which is bothering you is most probably a hemorrhoid. This is the most common reason of fresh blood in stool. Hemorrhoids usually appear due to constipations or lack of physical activity.
I suggest you to increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Hot baths with Quercus Cortex should be helpful as well. You can also start use prescription-free hemorrhoids suppositories.
If such treatment wont solve the problem, you should have colonoscopy performed and surgery might be necessary.

Hope this will help.Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Thanks much for your answer,

How long normally should I wait till it gets better?

Arash
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Usually with mentioned treatment, the symptoms should go away in a week or so.