Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Lower part of rib cage is sore. After flight felt swollen veins and something running down towards waist

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
The lower part of my left rib cage has been very sore. I recently had a three hour flight and when I got off of the plane, it was much more sore and I have what feels like a swollen vein or something like it running from the bottom of my rib cage (possible on top of the rib cage, I'm not sure) but down towards my waist. It is very sore and uncomfortable. Does this sound familiar?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take analgesic and muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

There is no such vein extending from rib margin up to waist those which are present are very superficial and small vein and I don't think they can be felt as you are describing. I think it is muscular pain and just take analgesic of NSAID group like diclofenac with muscle relaxant like tinazidine. I hope your symptoms will be relieved. If not then get yourself examined by a doctor

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower part of rib cage is sore. After flight felt swollen veins and something running down towards waist 9 minutes later
Can the muscle feel like a thick, sore vein or rope like feeling just below the skin? I can feel that whatever the ropelike thing is does extend up above the bottom of my rib cage.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback

Detailed Answer:
If there is spasm then muscle can be felt like that
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor