Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Lower molar cracked. Having lump under the tooth, cancer?. Do I need root canal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1957 Questions
My lower molar - next to last one is cracked. I wAs told I needed a root canal but Dds has left area! Now I have pain there and a lump underneath tooth - like on jaw And is tender to the touch. Sometimes the pain radiates to mmy ear. Do I have cancer??? I don't want to be toothless !!

Going to my husbands longtime family dds in jersey even though we line I the city. That last dentist up left! Do I have cancer and does infection XXXXXXX to the bone" -- is that really bad??
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum,

I understand your concern, please do not panic this is surely not a cancer nor you will be toothless!
Toothache along with swelling indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissues like bone leading to abscess formation.

I would suggest you to visit to the Dentist and get an x-ray done; drainage of the abscess is required. Depending upon the x-ray the treatment will be either root canal treatment or extraction. You probably have to go for root canal treatment of the tooth followed by the placement of prosthetic crown.

Antibiotics and analgesics will give a temporary relief, unless your tooth is drained for abscess, devitalized and sealed.
At home, take lukewarm saline rinses to give a soothing effect.
Take antiseptic mouthwash rinses like chlorhexidine to prevent infection and promote healing.

Hope this answered your query, if you have any other queries I will be happy to answer.

Wishing you good health!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor