Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Lower abdominal pain with itchy vagina and light bleeding. Tested negative for STD. What's wrong?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
personalI am 29 year women who fairly recent began to have vaginal itching, light vaginal blreding and lower abdominal pain. my last period was November 27th and end December 5th. I have only had one sex partner for the last 4 years. I just recently had STD testing and all results came back negative for any STD. I tried contacting my PCP for a medical appointment was told she can't see until after the new year. what can possibly be wrong with me?
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, the symptoms you described definitely indicate presence of infection in the genital tract. It mainly occurs due to fungal infection. Abdominal pain indicates possibility of pelvic inflammatory disease also.

Depending thee findings, and your history of single partner, for 4 years, you have to do the following.
1.     You have to use condom during sexual intercourse.
2.     If you are on pill, stop it after completing course for this month.
3.     You should visit a gynecologist immediately. You need a clinical examination, a pap smear examination. If you are not able to have an appointment within this month, you should visit a general physician.
4.     Anti-fungal agent like fluconazole should be considered.
5.     Anti-fungal agent like clotrimazole should be considered for intravaginal medication, if candidiasis is suspected.
6.     For presence of pelvic inflammatory disease, doxycycline should be considered.

Lastly, consult a doctor (gynecologist / general physician) as early as possible for clinical examination, ordering the required investigations and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower abdominal pain with itchy vagina and light bleeding. Tested negative for STD. What's wrong? 22 hours later
Dr. Dad Arindam

I notice that it looks like I am vertigo my period once again. Is it possible that this can be the reason why I am having these symptoms? and can I possibly use and over the counter drug to help with the symptoms until I am seen by my gynecologist?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

The possibility of the reason you told is very less.

You can use the over the counter drug till you visit your gynecologist. But, for the drugs i mentioned earlier, you really need a prescription. You can consult with your general physician about this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor