Lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and heavy bleeding. Ultrasound done. What does finding say?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor. I had a pelvic ultrasound recently due to severe pelvic pain, lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and heavy bleeding. The findings are as follows: Bulky uterus measuring 11.4cm x 7.7cm x 8.4cm in diameter.
The myometrium show a number of fibroids, the largest anteriorly situated measures 4.8cm x 3.9cm x 4.5cm.
The endometrium is distorted by the fibroids but measures 0.3cm in thickness. The ovaries are normal.
I am 47 years old with one child. I am of African decent.
Question: What does all this mean? Should I have a hysterectomy? Is it that Bad? Thanking you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

-Your ultrasound report is showing:
Bulky uterus, means larger than normal size due the presence of fibroids.
The myometrium, which is the middle layer of the uterus is having many fibroids.
The endometrium, which is the inner layer of the uterus might have projected into the cavity due to the fibroids. The endometrial thickness is normal.
-Treatment of the fibroids depends on the symptoms.
According to,
Your symptoms- severe pain abdomen, heavy bleeding etc.
Number and size of the fibroids
And your age
Better option is hysterectomy.
-Though the symptoms are severe, with proper and early intervention the condition can be cured.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.