Low sperm count, decreased motility, hormonal factors, no smoking, no drinking

Dr. Mitaly

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi Doctor,
Sex- Male
Age-28, Height - 165cm, weight-58
i got married 1.5 yrs back. My wife is not pregnant yet. I took semen analysis test. The result was 21 million and 15% motility and doctor suggested me to take Oligocare and Ubhiphene for 3months. I dont have any bad habits like smoking drinking etc. Why i got low sperm count with less motility.. Am working in a software company...
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 38 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Low sperm count and motility can be due to various reasons such as hormonal derangements, dietary factors, driving, excess heat ,smoking, genetic causes and some times due to unknown factors.

I can understand what you are going through but kindly do not take stress as it can further affect sperm production.

Motility is the movement of the sperms which is quite important and in a particular sample at least 50% of the sperms should be motile. However your still would be able to father a child. So do not worry. I suggest to get a repeat test done after 3 to 4 days of sexual abstinence and avoiding masturbation.

Some suggestions for you that might be helpful are:
1) Have a healthy nutritious diet comprising fruits, veggies, salads etc. Include bananas, avocados, nuts, tomatoes as they help in increasing sperm count.
2) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily for few months.
3) Abstain from smoking and alcohol.
4) Do some form of exercise daily.
5) Avoid stress and practice meditation.
6) Do not keep laptop on the lap and also avoid keeping cellphone in the pocket.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mitaly 11 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your answers.

I am always thinking of slave role with girl. I checked the net its femdom - female domination. I dont know why I like to be a slave to girls. i do some imagination in my mind like am being slave to my wife and mother inlaw. When i think abt this i get more sexual feel. Moment i leak my semen i stop this thinking. I am doing this especially fo sex. Also if wear anklets or girls dress i get my penis hard and again if leaked i am removing all those immediately..

Please advice..is this normal or how can i stop??

I did my semen analysis test when i was taking cold tabletes. Will this cause a sper count reduction and motility?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

If you are doing anything in imagination it is fine as long as you are not harming anybody.

But this is something unusual.You can try to divert your mind from such things and have normal sexual intercourse with your wife.Concentrate on other things.

Sperm count can be affected by some medications and it is best to repeat it after avoiding any medication and sexual abstinence of 3 to 4 days.

Wishing you Good Health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Follow up: Dr. Mitaly 25 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks again.

Currently I am taking medicine Oligocare and Ubhiphene. I had completed this for 1 months. This time we tried but not success. Can you please tell me how long will it take to get the improvement in sperm count and motility.

As per doctor suggestion, I took blood test containing all the test. All the test was normal in range.

Also tell which day from period start day, we should intercourse. For her its regular period. We tried 13,14,15 day, but no luck also 10-20 days, again no luck.

Do we need to do daily twice?? We do only once during nite.

And the sperm quantity is less. Is it enough to get her pregnant??

When we sexually intercourse, sometimes the sperms are coming out from her vagina. Am worried whether anything going in or not. Please clarify.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You should continue taking the medications for few more months and then look out for improvement.

Intercourse should be done regularly between 10 to 21 days of cycle and once is enough. As motility of sperms is less, it might be preventing her from getting pregnant.

Consider placing pillow under your wife's hips for better penetration.

Regarding the quantity of semen, it is fine as every ejaculate contains million of sperms and it is normal for some semen to flow out of vagina.

There is other method to treat infertility. I general term, it is called "Assisted Reproductive Technologies". You can consider those options also after consulting your Gynecologist.

I sincerely hope this helps!

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil