Low platelet count due to Epstein-Barr viral infection. Swollen lymph nodes. Anemia detected through blood test. Any treatment for increasing platelets?
Epstein-Barr virus causes infectious mononucleosis which is also called glandular fever. During this fever, sore throat, swollen lymph glands like symptoms occur.
In infectious mononucleosis anemia and low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) are caused by breakdown of the cells by antibodies and impaired production due to affection of the bone marrow.
Though platelet count below 1, 50,000/microL is called thrombocytopenia, normally platelets even lower in number are sufficient to do their work.
Platelet transfusion is needed when platelets are below 20,000 with bleeding or below 10,000 with or without symptoms.
Treatment for infectious mononucleosis is treating the symptoms steroids can be given if needed. Though recovery from this illness is complete it will take weeks to months. As at present your son's platelet count is above critical level and Hemoglobin is 12.3, there is no emergency.
But as platelet levels are fluctuating you better visit local physician to rule out the possibility of either reactivation or chronic Epstein-Barr virus infection which can be done by serological examination.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you so much for your prompt answer. Now we are in Dubai and my son is studying here for Engineering. As I am a mother I very much tensed. The treatment in dubai is very expensive and also not good as india. When he had fever emergency we admited a very expensive hospital Welcare Hospital in dubai. He got good care by that time. But the doctor advised me if you can go india better go and do a bone marrow test. We went to Kims, Tvm. after bone marrow test they diagnosed that he has anemia and paucicellular marrow. so they advised to get second opinion from cmc velllore haematology. But we went to RCC, there we know some doctors personally (husband's brother's friends). we met 4 doctors there both oncology and haematology. they all checked all his reports during viral fever and personally advised that this all happened due to ebv infection. so now need to go vellore. go back to dubai and wait for another 2 months. it will increase gradually. take care not to get any more infection. then come after 2 months and take one more bone marrow test. like that we waited. RBC and HB was increasing fast. but platelets slow increased up to 48,000. now it is 33,000. fluctuating. Is this virus can stay this much long time ? why platelets are not increasing faster like Hb ? so we are planning to go to amrutha hospital, cohin for 1 more check up next week. this week he is having exam. what is your opinion ? amrutha is good for this treatment ? which doctor we should XXXXXXX ? physician or haematologist ?or any other hospital you can advise ? any natural remedy can increase platelets ? i am giving fresh orange juice and anar every day. and vitamin b complex as advised by rcc doctors. give me some advise. my son looks healthy and doing his usual work.
Awaiting your valued reply.
according to your description the possibilities are,
1. if peripheral smear report was given by mechanical analyzer the platelet clumps might be counted as single platelet, so this time ask for manual count of platelets in specific.
2. In cases of pauci cellular marrow the cells which will be affected first and recovering last are megakaryocytes from which platelets will be produced compared with erythroid cells from which RBC are produced.
3. reactivation of the antibodies is one possibility which are attacking the platelets leading to decreased number.
But as at present your son is healthy without any symptoms you need not worry, just repeat the peripheral smear and serological tests for Eb-stein Barr virus which will rule out the cause.
If he is not having any symptoms let him write his exams peacefully. After exams you can go to either Amrutha or CMC both are good, if not any hospital according to your convenience and get above tests done. First you XXXXXXX hematologist if needed he will refer you to physician.
You continue to give the juices etc along with that balanced diet with red meat, apples, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables etc are said to be helpful in increasing platelet count.
Wishing good health for your son, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Herpes and low platelets count
- Diabetes and low platelet count
- Low platelet count due to tb
- Low platelet count and smoking
- Aplastic anemia low platelet count treatment
- Low platelet count viral fever
- Low platelet count tuberculosis
- Low platelet count and epilepsy
- Dexorange increases low platelet count
- Low platelet count 80000
- EMG report enclosed. Feeling warm hands & face, hematuria, stiffness,...
- Irritable sensation on the tongue. Poor perception of smell and taste....
- Took Ipill a while after period. How long will the affect last? Will it...
- What is the meaning of high eosinophil levels?
- Use multivitamins when stressed and depressed. Why is my face red and...
- Periods not stopping, light flow, cramping, losing weight, tests normal....
- Infrequent Stomach pain, nausea. Had Appendicitis inflammation. Are they...
- Can pomegranate be taken during pregnancy?
- Low platelet count due to Epstein-Barr viral infection. Swollen lymph...
- Egg ruptured, missed period. Taking Krimson35, asked to stop this....