Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Low hemoglobin, WBC and iron levels. Had diarrhea. Advised to meet an oncologist. Why?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 121 Questions
Hi, I just got bloodwork back. My dr is sending me to XXXXXXX Oncology to speak with a specialist. My hemogloin was 8.9, WBC was 3.1 and iron was 11. Before the test I had diarrhea for several days. Would that explain the low results? What are options to fix anemia? Are my numbers extreemly low or could they be fixed with diet?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 3 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
First of all, diarrhoea can actually show high Haemoglobin and counts since only fluids are lost in stools and it causes hemo-concentration.
Low haemoglobin with low serum iron indicates Iron deficiency anaemia. But there is also associated low WBC count cause of which needs to be evaluated. Some infection like typhoid, viral and parasitic infections can cause low WBC count.
I would like to know the platelet count and RBC count. If all cell lines (RBC, WBC, platelets) are reduced, causes will be different.

Anaemia is very common in women since they lose blood in menstrual flow. Up to 10mg/dl can improve with diet. Less than 10mg/dl needs iron supplementation.

Options to treat anaemia are:
-Diet XXXXXXX in iron like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, drumstick, lentils, can be consumed,
-Jaggery can be used as sweetener in coffee, tea instead of sugar,
-Diet XXXXXXX in Vitamin C like citrus fruits, guava, papaya can facilitate iron absorption,
-Non veg diet is very effective form for absorption.

-Oral iron therapy for at least 3-4 months improves iron levels in blood,
-Iron tablets and capsules with effective iron of 60mg are available.

If still the Iron and Hb levels don’t improve we can go for injection forms and there might be underling cause for this like bleeding peptic ulcer, increased menstrual flow etc., cause of which needs to be treated along with treating anaemia.

In your case you need to take oral iron therapy with nutritional supplementation in diet.
Kindly visit your physician and get the medicines prescribed.
If you have any queries, I'll be happy to help you.
Wishing you good health and happiness.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor