Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Low blood pressure, right heart failure, erectile dysfunction. Taking bisoprolol fumarate, digoxin. Low BP due to medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i have a heart problem i think its right sided heart failure i have very low blood pressure 96/57 heart 71 it has been lower i take bisoprolol fumarate 10mg eplerenone 25mg digoxin 125 micrograms in morning and perindopril 2mg as i read they all lower blood pressure i now find in possible to get or even maintain an ecretion
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Low blood pressure, right heart failure, erectile dysfunction. Taking bisoprolol fumarate, digoxin. Low BP due to medication? 11 minutes later
is there anything i can take to help to get and keep an erection
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for Erectile dysfunction (problems in getting and sustaining an erection) but the medications you are taking are unlikely to cause Erectile Dysfunction. Since you are having right heart failure, so it could be related to Erectile dysfunction.

It is said that, erectile dysfunction and heart disease go hand in hand because about 7 in 10 cases of Erectile Dysfunction are due to narrowing of the small arteries in the penis. This causes reduced blood flow to the penis and this narrowing of small arteries follows narrowing of coronary blood vessels due to plaque formation in atherosclerosis which causes plaque formation in small arteries as well.

The commonly prescribed drug for this is Sildenafil or Vardenafil (Levitra), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. However it may not be effective if you have uncontrolled diabetes, very low blood pressure (Hypotension) or uncontrolled hypertension/126" >high blood pressure (Hypertension), heart disease or heart failure, stroke or you are taking any nitrate drugs for angina, blood-thinning (anticoagulant) medications, antihypertensives or alpha blockers for enlarged prostate.

The other treatment options for you are urethral pellet of the medicine or vacuum devices. Otherwise you can go in for penile prosthesis in which a rod is inserted permanently into the penis. The most sophisticated (expensive) type can be inflated with an inbuilt pump to cause an erection.

You can discuss these treatment options with a Urologist and then get them prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor