Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Low MCHC. Can I take iron supplement like Geritol?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
Can I just take an iron supplement, like Geritol if my mchc is low?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Hematology, working with an experienced Hematologist. I answer on his behalf.

packed red blood cells. This when low indicates low values of haemoglobin in the body and indirectly indicates low iron levels.

It could be best first line management to treat such condition by taking Iron supplements.Geritol is contains required vitamins and minerals ,also it is safe.

You can proceed taking geritol for a month and repeat the test again to see the response.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern. The normal value for MCHC is about 33%. Low MCHC indicates microcytic, hypochromic anemias caused by iron deficiency anemia, pyridoxineresponsive anemia, or thalassemia.

You have not mentioned your hemoglobin count. If your hemoglobin count is low (Female: 12.1 to 15.1 gm/dL) then you can take iron supplements for low MCHC because in that case low MHC is due to iron deficiency anemia. But it is advisable to take them under medical supervision.

But if your hemoglobin count is normal then there is a chance of thalassemia and in that case, iron supplements are not advocated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor