Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Lost weight suddenly. Test results showed T3 1.48, T4 = 13.93, TSH = 0.02, BUN = 22mg/dL. Meaning?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My husband is 34 years old, last month his weight reduced suddenly. So he went for complete check up and found the following details
T3 1.48, T4 = 13.93, TSH = 0.02, BUN = 22mg/dL,haemoglobin = 10.1, Free T4 = 26.25, anti microsomal antibodies >1300u/ML AND Anti thyroglobulin antibodies 136 IU/mL
Test method = CLIA

Please let us know what does this mean? I am really feeling scared.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I have seen the reports and find that your husband is suffering from hyperthyroidism along with low hemoglobin and gland located in your neck produces more thyroid hormones which results in anxiety,tremors,weightloss,sweating etc.
There is absolutely nothing to get scared as proper treatment shall make your husband become absolutely normal.
You must consult an ENDOCRINOLOGIST and get managed and treated properly.
I hope it helps however if you want to ask anything more or anything specific,you are most welcome to revert to me.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lost weight suddenly. Test results showed T3 1.48, T4 = 13.93, TSH = 0.02, BUN = 22mg/dL. Meaning? 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Does he need to go for any more tests, if so what are they? Whether this could be cured through only medicine or surgery is required?

can you suggest few best doctors for this in Hyderabad?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Sometimes radioactive iodine uptake test called as thyroid scan may be done.
Hyperthyroidism is generally treatable only very rarely it is life threatening.
Treatment depends on the cause and the severity of symptoms. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated with one or more of the following:
Antithyroid medications
Radioactive iodine (which destroys the thyroid gland and stops the excess production of hormones)
Surgery to remove the thyroid or a portion if thyroid ,depending upon the diagnosis.

In all the top class hospitals,there is a department of endocrinology where you can consult an endocrinologist.You may take the help of your local acquaintances in this regard,as I am unaware of anybody in Hyderabad.
I would be glad to help you,in case you have any  additional concern.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor