Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Lost license after DVLA medical test showed raised blood levels. How can I get my license back?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hello I have recently had a dvla medical, after losing my licence for drink driving, apparently my blood levels were slightly raised and they have written to my gp. I have never seen my gp for any alcohol related reasons, but am concerned what this means for me getting my licence back and also for my health and what they will ask my gp. can you advise on this please?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Kindly mention your all blood reports in detail.

Heavy alcohol intake generally affect liver and cause deranements of liver function test.

Heavy alcohol intake may cause rise in SGOT (AST) & SGPT (ALT) and generally in range of 400-500IU/L.

You should consult with your GP and get your ultrasound imaging study of liver.

If alcohol affects your liver and causing "fatty liver" & "Alcoholic hepatitis" then there is high chances of reversion.

For getting your license again, you should stop taking alcohol and take liver protective medicine on written prescription by your GP.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor