Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Loss of cartilage in neck and progressive stabbing pain in hips. What could be the problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
for a month i began having severe lower leg cramps, stabbing pains, which progressed to pain in my hips. there has been a warm rash periodically. now my whole body is tender and painful to pressure, and the skin has become indented with cellulite? i do have loss of cartilage in my neck and hips, and a large impingement of my shoulder. i also have vericose veins quite pronounced. i am a 64 year old female. i do yoga and tai chi and light weight bearing exercise daily. i am 5'5" and now weigh 155 lbs. i have osteoporosis and arthritis in my fingers and other joints. any ideas?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibilities:Polymyositis+Dermatomyositis or MCTD Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. From the information provided by you, the possible causes of your problems are :- * Leg cramps and pains in the lower limbs are apparently due to osteoporosis leading to vertebral collapse/spinal stenosis and thereby causing compression over the spinal cord or the emerging nerves. * Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) :- that is, co-existence of features of several connective tissue disorders such as : - Rheumatoid arthritis (arthritis of fingers and other joints); - Polymyositis (involvement of muscles, causing muscle cramps, pains and painful to touch/pressure) with, - Dermatomyositis (generalized rashes, tenderness of whole body, thickened skin- indented and cellulitis-like appearance); - Scleroderma (generalized thickening of skin with cellulitis-like appearance, tenderness to pressure). * Systemic Lupus Erythematosus You will require to undergo several tests in order to reach to a definite diagnosis. Hence, consult your doctor, preferably a Rheumatologist, and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor