Losing hair in the front portion of head. Should I go for hair transplantation?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, This is XXXX and my age is 26. I am loosing hair in the front portion of my head. Is it the right time to go for hair transplantation as I just require 1500 grafts ? And in future will I again loose hair ?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: kindly upload a picture of your scalp Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can get from your problem that you have male pattern baldness or medically known as androgenic alopecia. You want to know regarding feasibility of hair transplantation in yourself. Androgenic alopecia is of almost 7-8 grades and accordingly different treatments are devised. So before commenting on anything it would be better to know the grade of alopecia and accordingly if you really require hair transplantation or not. For the same you kindly upload a picture of your scalp area from top, right and left side so that I assess the grade of alopecia. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia. Also do let me know if any body in your father side or mother's side have baldness problem. Hope to hear you soon from your side to help and guide you best. With best health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD Dermatology
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 days later
Hi XXXXXXX As requested, please find the attached zip folder which contains the pics. Also, my father and my mother's brothers have baldness. Please check and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks & Regards, XXXX Hi XXXXXXX I have forwarded my scalp pics to YYYY@YYYY . Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly follow the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome again to the forum and thanks for sending good resolution pictures for our assessment. I can see you are a smart and handsome man with bit of the problem with frontal baldness. After thoroughly discussing and analyzing your scalp hair condition the conclusive points are as below: - Your stage of male pattern baldness is Ludwig’s stage III and is going into stage III A. - As you have family history specifically form your mother’s side so you have the tendency to get it progressed to further in next few years. -Therefore if you want to go for hair transplantation then also you might require medial treatment for the maintainace of good hair growth and sustainment of the hair on the scalp. - In case of medical management Minoxidil lotion in different strengths under medical supervision would be the ideal treatment along with biotin and other hair supplements. - Your condition is the initial stage of the candidates to go for hair transplantation that is why less number of grafts are required in this stage. So you can go for hair transplantation at this stage along with good maintainace by medical management for future aspect. - There are two methods of hair transplantation- one is by strip method and the other by FUE (Follicular unit extraction). In hair transplantation by strip method a strip of hair containing skin is taken from back of the scalp and incised to individual hair units and implanted into the bald area. In Follicular unit extraction individual hair units are taken as punches from posterior scalp and implanted over bald area. There is no cutting o the scalp in FUE. Now days special robotic machines are used to do FUE as a very fine surgery. -I prefer to suggest for FUE because of its ease to patient, less down time, very less down time and then further feasibility of surgery in future if required after many years. In strip method this advantage of future surgery is either not preset or if done, then is a cumbersome job. There is also a big scar in strip method which many a time visible. I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be glad to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the valuable suggestion. I am also planning to go for FUE method. Could you please tell me how many grafts of hair needed for me and what is Biotin and what are the other hair supplements. One more skin problem I got a rash on my neck , please find the attached pic for the same. I am using Candid B cream and Loratin medicine suggested by you for this rash. Can I continue these or not. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly follow the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome again to the forum. Regarding your further queries: - The number of graft for your can vary from 500 to around 1500. This will be depending on the part of restoration you want. If you want the complete coverage of the front area then it would be around 1500 and if you want only partially hen it would be around minimum of 500 grafts. The rest will be depending on the operating surgeon also that how expertly one utilizes the graft. - Biotin is a type of vitamin B which is basically considered to be the most important vitamin required for hair growth and maintainace. Along with it iron, zinc and selenium are other of minerals required for good hair growth. These are all present in all fruits, green leafy vegetables and sprouts. There are certain vitamin supplement tablets also which can be taken under dermatological guidance. - I can see a patch over the back in the photo. For this you can apply Mometasone cream in a very thin layer. You can continue with Loratadine tablet if itching is present. Do not apply candid B cream as it is not required now. I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be glad to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I will go for FUE transplantation for my hair and using the medicines prescribed by you for neck patch. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: FUE is latest and best Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome again to the forum. FUE is the latest and best of techniques which always leaves a path for future transplantation, if required. I am glad to help you for your skin related issues. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)