Looking remedy for gastric distention induced by norpace

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes, do you know of remedies that relieve gastric distention induced by Norpace? We know about foods that increase this and donour best to prevent it, but what can one do once the bloating occurs? It does not affect respiratory excursion or result in reflux, but is quite uncomfortable. Norpace is for AF so cannot be stopped. Thank you.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Yes, norpace which contains disopyramide phosphate used in the treatment of arrhythmias is reported to cause bloating sensation. You may try antacids like prilosec OTC (available over the counter) / ranitidine along with domperidone (the later 2 drugs are prescription based). Lactobacillus supplements will give added benefits.

The following combinations have been useful in some of my patients. You can discuss with your treating cardiologist and plan to start these medications.

It is also important that you follow a healthy diet as instructed by your doctor/dietician.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad