Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Looking permanent solution for posterior annual tear at L5-S1 interverteral disc

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
Hello Doctor,
Required you suggestion related to my report.
While explains about "Posterior annual tear at L5-S1 interverteral disc"
which suffering from last 3 years. I would like to have permanent solution, preferably non-surgical. I just had a physio therapy 2 years back.
Also request you to provide which specialist to inquire for the same. either orto or neuro

Best regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 47 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through the reports attached. You have L5-S1 disc herniation with right sided nerve root compression. It usually causes back pain with leg pain which can be episodic or persisting. During the episode we initially treat with medicine and physiotherapy. If symptoms persist then we may try nerve root block.

Permanent solution to this problem is to remove the herniated disc fragment and free the nerve that is compressed. I would consider doing that if you have persistent pain which is hampering your day to day work if all other above mentioned measures have failed.

How frequently do you have this problem?
Is it bad all the time or get better in between and sometimes become severe?
I need to understand your present symptoms and then correlated those with the MRI findings.

To simply answer your query, the only non-surgical permanent solution is physiotherapy and it does not change the pathology but calm down the irritable nerve. We can also consider doing nerve root block to achieve the rapid recovery. However one need to keep open mind and microdiscectomy (surgery) is definitely a most rewarding spine surgery.

If you want to consult a specialist, then prefer an orthopaedic-spine surgeon. I currently do not have any references in Bangalore though.

To summarise, I would say non-surgical solution is physiotherapy and if you don't get better with it, then surgery is the definitive solution to this problem.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if there are other enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor