Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Looking for specialist in treating Shingles. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
I am looking a specialist in treating shingles - anywhere but preferably on East coast. I'm in the 9th week!
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am assuming that someone made the diagnosis of shingles in your case. Did they put you on any medications? What is your closest city? Do you have an OB/GYN?

Let me know and I will try to help you out!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Looking for specialist in treating Shingles. Help? 1 hour later
Answering your questions: Yes, I have been diagnosed with shingles - by my internist who is a fine doctor. Yes, I was put on the anti-viral medicine about 3-4 says after onset. Since then (some 9 weeks) I have taken lyrica and neurontin and used every cream and lotion there is. Closest cities are Greenville and Raleigh, NC - but travel is no problem for me. I obviously need a MD with much experience with this. I'm a pretty devoted male so I don't have an OB/GYN! What specialty do you really mean?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thank you for the followup and clarification.

What is the exact medication and dose that you are on?
Where is the shingles outbreak located?
Do you have pain at the site of the outbreak?
Has there been any progress over the course of 9 weeks?

Let me know and we will rap this question up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Looking for specialist in treating Shingles. Help? 50 minutes later
Re: Answers to your questions:

The outbreak is on my left side, doen to the navel and around to the back - about 3" wide.

Yes, there is pain, itching and burning where the rash is. The rash did subside for a day or two about a month ago but it has returned!

Progress wise, as stated the rash looks better and the pain is not as severe. But there is right much rash still and the stabbing pain, etc.

The medications I am taking for this are:

Lyrica - 100 mg. - 3 times daily.
Gabapentin - 300 mg. - twice daily.
Lithoderm patch - 12 hours daily. (this one helps more than anything else)

My regular meds that I am still taking are:

Paroxetine - 30mg. - i daily.
Synthyroid - 112 mcg. - 1 daily
Clonazepan - 0.5 mg. - 1 or 2 daily.
Lithobid - 300 mg. - 1 daily. -
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Thank you for the followup clarification. This is extremely helpful. I have a few comments:

1. Given the lack of a complete response, it seems to me that you should still be on an anti-viral medication. Valtrex and Aciclovir are both safe to take during pregnancy.
2. The other medications you are on (Lyrica and Neurontin) are Class C drugs meaning that they are probably okay to take during pregnancy but one should weigh the risks vs. benefits because there is some theoretical risk of harm
3. You are on THREE Class D medications - i.e. they are known to cause harm during pregnancy:
a. Lithium
b. Paroxetine
c. Clonazepam

For these reasons, I think that the BEST course of treatment would be a high-risk consultation with an OB/GYN called a 'Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist'. These are high risk OB doctors that can most appropriately comment on the rash AND the use of these medications during pregnancy.

The best way to find one that accepts your insurance would be to google..."maternal fetal medicine in....". I have done this for the two cities you mentioned and there are plenty of choices for you to choose from. This is very important to pursue. IF the MFM specialist thinks you should see a dermatologist, then they can make the referral.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor