Looking for natural way of teeth whitening

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi... Wanted to know natural way of teeth whitening as my teeth colour is yellow.

I do conusme tea twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 56 minutes later

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX forum.

As you described, the yellowish teeth may be due to-

1.Plaque and food debris accumulation.
2.Medications like tetracycline.
3.Fluorosis stains.
4.Tea stains.
5.Tobacco stains.
6.Congenital discoloration of teeth.

As you required, natural way of teeth whitening can be done through-
1.Brush your teeth twice daily using toothpaste and soft-bristled toothbrush in up-down and back-forth motion-This will prevent plaque accumulation causing yellowish teeth.
2. Stop the use of fluoridated water if you practice.
3. Please reduce the frequency of intake of tea/coffee as it can result in stained teeth. Always rinse your mouth after taking tea/coffee.
4. Discontinue the use of tobacco chewing/smoking since it can cause stains on teeth as well as cancerous lesions may develop.
5.You can use pumice powder along with hydrogen peroxide and rub these contents on teeth using cotton. This will enhance the colour of teeth to be whitened.
6.Discontinue or replace the use of medicines causing yellowish teeth.
7. If your teeth are yellow by birth, then natural way of teeth whitening will not work out.
In such case, you have to visit a dentist and get bleaching/porcelain veneering/crown has to be done.
I would suggest you to get cleaning, if your teeth are heavily accumulated with plaque and calculus.
Please do not use whitening kits available without a dentist's supervision.
Please use chlohexidine mouth rinses after tooth brushing to prevent plaque accumulation.
Hope this information will help you out.
Please feel free to ask any other concerns if you have.
DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 57 minutes later
Hope there is no harm in bleaching/porcelain veneering/crown
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Bleaching/veneering/crown placement is done by a dentist.

There is no harm with these treatments.

Depending on the severity of yellowish teeth and your aesthetic needs, any of the above-mentioned treatments can be done.

If you are willing for such treatments, please do consult a dentist for further reference.

Hope this suffices.
Dr. Bindiya XXXXXXX