Looking for advice on the lasik procedure

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I want advice about the LASIK procedure.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 31 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for sending your query to. us.
For lasik you should be above 22 years of age(so that the power is stabilized)
power stabilized for 2 years
Enough corneal thickness to make a flap
power less than 8 ,which is there in your case.
please do get back to us if any further detail is needed
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the quick reply.
I thought it would start a chat window after I ask the question in brief and then I can ask about the concerns in detail. But it sent the question directly.

Actually my concern is about the long term effects, if any, after undergoing this procedure. My family doesn't approve that I undergo this operation. They have convinced me that there is a certain risk involved in this procedure and also there might be any side effects which might surface after I'm 40 years old.
What is your opinion doctor regarding this risk and side effects?

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back to us.
Since this procedure is FDA approved,we should rest assured about the quality of procedure.
you will a small problem after 40 that since you become normal now ,you will like all normal people need glasses for reading,which is called presbyopia.
This procedure is for young people,early twenties is the time for this surgery.
Please do get back to me for further query.