Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
172 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Long interval between periods, itchy vagina, brown discharge. Is it Perimenopause?

Answered by
Dr. Shanti Vennam


Practicing since :1989

Answered : 7488 Questions

Posted on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I'm a 47 year old female I am either premenopausal or already in it. My periods range from nothing for 2 months than I'll have it every other week. In January I had my period then a week and a half later I started having a discharge of a dark reddish brown. Whenever I go to the bathroom and I wipe there is always a little blood. I've been experiencing a burning/itching sensation for the last week and rawness on the outside of my vagina only. I have no pain at all when I pee. I also seem to be very dry down there. What can it be?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

During the perimenopausal period, it is common to have disturbances of the cycle. Initially, they may get more frequent and later on they tend to become more delayed and ultimately stop. This is because of the dwindling ovulation.

As the production of estrogen and progesterone is lesser, vaginal dryness occurs. This can lead to burning sensation on intercourse and pain and sometimes may cause spotting also. Also, this dry vagina is more prone for infections and urethra is no exemption as the urethral mucosa also gets dry simultaneously.

Even though you do not have any pain while passing urine, you should always get an infection of the urinary tract excluded.

You should get a local examination done by a gynecologist and get a pap smear done at regular intervals as a safety precaution. You can get the levels of LH, FSH and estradiol assessed. Lastly, as you are still getting periods and if you do not use any contraception, pregnancy should be excluded either by a urine or blood test or a sonogram.

Vaginal creams or lubricants may be used after a check up by a gynecologist, to get relief from the dryness. Hormone therapy may be tried if symptoms cause you much trouble.

Hope I have clarified your queries. If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to help. Please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Estradiol

doctor1 MD

want to know about heavy period facing from last six month no fibroid seen in ultrasound and no other problem but gyno doctors prescribed Primolet...

doctor1 MD

hi i am 25 yrs old unmarried lady.i hv been suffering 4m PCOS & thyroid disease .recently my hair is falling attending gynecologist...

doctor1 MD

WHITE MALE, 23 years of age. I have visited an endocrinologist recently regarding my development of gynecomastia. A little over 2 years ago I took...

doctor1 MD

I was prescribed medrooxyprogesterone 5 mg and Estradiol 1 mg for pre menapause mood swings and hot flashes. I am 49 years old and I still have my...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I’m 59 and was taking Estradiol and spironolactone for about 8 months. 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a clot in my lower leg. The doctors...

doctor1 MD

I've been having bad insomnia , heart palpitations, and my BP went up and is fluctuating. I attributed this to my thyroid medication, Levothyroxin...

doctor1 MD

I am 49 years old and have been suffering from terrible perimenopausal symptoms lately, the worst being frequent hot flashes and intense sweating,...