Liver ultrasound scan showed spot on pancreas. What can this be?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Had a liver ultrasound done this morning because of an elevated GGT - no symptoms. Showed a spot on the pancreas and now waiting for appointment for CT scan. All other blood work was great - worried about cancer - could the spot be anything else?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please send complete report details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. I have read your query in detail. Elevated GGT is not a cancer specific test so there is no need to worry much. At the same time it is important to evaluate the spot seen in pancreas so that a proper diagnosis is made and treated in necessary. Ultrasound scan is an investigation in which the pancreas may not be evaluated completely, partly because of the gas in the stomach. Nowadays there are good machines but CT scan is more suited to evaluate the pancreas completely. Your doctors are right in suggesting you a CT scan. I would like to know further description of the spot as mentioned in your report so that we can narrow down to possibilities. A spot may appear white (if it contains tissue) or black (if its a cyst). They can be well defined (non cancerous tumors) or ill defined (cancerous tumors). It can also be due to an earlier infection (chronic pancreatitis). Spots can also mean any blockage of the pancreatic duct causing its enlargement. Many times, the pancreas itself can be bulky and normal but may give suspicion of a mass. Please send me complete description of the spot as mentioned in your ultrasound scan report. It is important to know the size, appearance and any supporting findings which may indicate a particular disease. Regards, Dr.Vivek