Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Liver test done. Started taking hepthral 400 and urcosol 300. Any advice?

Answered by
Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 883 Questions

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: hi i was regular on alcohol large qty for last many years . Recently i was tested for sgpt around 42 sgot 40 and ggt 198 also serum bilirubin was 1.2. Apart fromm that every thing was normal. i have started takink hepthral 400 and urcosol 300 twice a day with restricted diet and almost left alcohol except 3 drinks in last one month . pls advice
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Regarding your GI problem there are 2 issues.
1. Gallstones which have been diagnosed. Ursodiol will prevent further stone formation but the chances of dissolving hard pre existing syones is very less. The moment you start experiencing symptoms related to the right side of the abdomen then you may require surgical intervention.
2. Your alcohol habit in the past does not seem to be acause for much concern as your liver enzymes are within the acceptable range. However as asafeguard I would suggest that you undergo a focussed ultrasoung of the upper abdomen to study the status of the liver. The best medication for liver is a liver tonic by name Hepa merz which can be taken three times a day after meals for 28 days. Stop alcohol completely. Reduce the consumption of foods XXXXXXX in oil and ghee.
You can also start a medication called sorbiline which again is a excellent liver tonic. (dosage 2 tablespoons in a glass of XXXXXXX warm water early in the morning)
This you should continue for 12 weeks. It will improve your liver function as well as your bowel habits.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Liver dysfunctions

doctor1 MD

3 days back I recovered from Dangue. I complained for feeling of bloatinesss after food. The doctor asked to do a liver function test. My SGPT count is 309 and SGOT is 255. Also GGT is 83. I dont understand what wrong with me. Should I do ultra sound?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor

i have an acidity problem .my age is 23

i had a loose motion 3-4 times in between 1 1/2 months

but now i m okay now

doctor adviced me to do the ultra sound of whole abdomen,blood test,stool test

i have done the ultra sound and my kidney and liver is in normal condition

but in my blood test my sgot is 110,sgpt is 90,direct bilirubin is 62,globulin is 3.3

i have not done stool checkup yet

doctor1 MD

lower sternal to just center of bosom, quick stab of pain approximatly 15 x daily, no injury , no pointers as to why, has been existing and increasing in frequency for over 6 months. sensitive to touch and unable to pinpoint exact spot

doctor1 MD

My gastroenterologist suspects Gilbert s. My total bilirubin is 3.2. My direct is 0.44 (normal is up to 0.4). No bilirubin in uring. Urobilinogen is 1.0 (which is the upper limit for normal). I read that in Gilbert s patients, urobilinogen is typically subnormal. Does my 1.0 rule out Gilbert s? (Note: I eat a banana every day, including in the days prior to the urine test. For the urine test, I simply provided one sample at the doctor s office in the morning. That was my second urinatination of the day and was of low amount. All my other serum tests are normal.)

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with NASH (non alcoholic steatohepatits), a hereditary form in my family, 19 months ago and was immediately taken off prescription pain meds (Opana and Morphine ) and obtained my medical marijuana recommendation. 10 days ago my liver function was tested and there are no signs of liver disease . I was very ill when I was diagnosed so I m wondering if the multiple infections I had at the time caused a false positive or if daily use of cannabis (mostly in food) has cured me.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 23 years old male, working in an MNC. For the last few years(5-6) I am having some physical and psychological problems. 1. Physical problems: Most of the physical problems are related to the habit of masturbation as I have experienced...

doctor1 MD

I had i kidney transplant a year ago i have awelling in both calf muscles ist no a dvt or my kidney or my liver could it be my meds?