Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Liver results stated raised GGT, lipid profile erratic. On norvasc and lisinoprol. Am I okay?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I am a 49 year old woman and I just got the results of my life insurance blood work and the live results are as follows:

Bilirubin 0.7
Total protein 6.7

I do drink about 3 times a week when going out with friends. I think this may be the reason for the elevation. I have no problem quitting that, however, will that help with these results?

I also take 5mg or Norvasc and 40 mg of Lisinopril. When pain relief is needed I take ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen.

Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 41 minutes later
I notice two anomalies in your attached blood reports-
1. Raised GGT- Gamma Glutamyl Transferase levels are fairly commonly raised in females under effect of their estrogen hormone without any consequences, much higher levels than your levels are so common.
Off course alcohol consumption increases GGT/GGTP but it also increases AST(sGOT) levels, Which are normal in your case.
I don't think you need total abstinence. It is found that a regular maintenance of 30 ml of hard liquor or 300 ml of beer or 100ml of wine per day are acceptable limits for a woman till 50 yrs of age.

2. Your Lipid profile is erratic-
High triglyceride levels
Cholesterol and LDL levels are on higher side of the spectrum with Tryglycerides being higher than the upper limit.
You need regular exercise and a strict cut down on fried foods and saturated fats in diets and repeat Lipid profile after 3 months. Replace them with 6 servings of vegetables and fruit per day.

A binge of drinking in presence of high tryglycerides may precipitate acute pancreatitis- a fairly lethal disease, so avoid binge drinking.

I hope that answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor