Liver is swollen, burning sensation and have hepatitis C. What could be the reason for burning sensation?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my liver feels swollen and keep feeling a burning sensation. I do have Hep C but had my blood checked few months back and liver enzymes are not that elevated. I am drug free and drink rarely. Don't want to go to ER room if not necessary or helpful. Why is it swollen and burning for the last 36 hours? It hurts to touch and feel bloated like I need to hold stomach in to reside the pain but.... it don't help.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Try Mylanta and schedule appnt with primary care Detailed Answer: Hi, I realized that you are in acute pain that is burning and tenderness to tough. Most probably this pain could be originating from the stomach or duodenum. I suggest you to take over the counter antacids that are available first like Mylanta or Pepcid. If the pain does not subside within 30 min. You should rush to the ER. Schedule an appointment with your local primary care physician and undergo an Ultrasound scan to ascertain the cause of the pain. Though the liver enzymes are not greatly raised now they may soon fluctuate because of the pain that you have now. Then it may indicate liver failure. Let us prevent this to happen by scheduling an appointment and necessary investigations. Every liver cell is important for healthy survival. Hope this helps.