Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Liver is inflamed slightly and having pain towards right abdomen. Done with liver function test and urine test. Further treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 52 Questions

I have been told by a doctor recently that my liver is inflammed slightly. I feel a slight pain towards my right abdomen most of the days, and sometimes it is a bit severe (that comes as pulses). I have already done LFT and tested urine as well. Below are my test results. I am mentioning the normal range in bracket:

Urinal analysis:
crystals: not detected
Uric acid: 6.6 (2.6 - 7.2)

Total Bilirubin: 2.57 (0 - 1.00)
Bilirubin, direct: 0.30 (0 - 0.30)
total protein: 7.1 (6.4 - 8.2)
SGOT: 17 (15 - 37)
SGPT: 46 (30 - 65)

All other factors are seen to be in the normal range, Only total Bilirubin seems to be higher than normal range.

I also have some disturbance due to kidney stone problem. I drink a lot of water as suggested by doctor. But there are no crystals detected in the urinal analysis. I often get kidney stone pain as well. I also heard that pressure on liver increases due to kidney stone.
I have brown spots / rashes on my back. I saw in some of the blogs that this can be a symptom of liver issue.
I do not what I should be doing next? Is any scan need to be taken? Please advise
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
inflamed liver

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know on what basis was this inflammed liver diagnosis made?

Because as per your LFT, I see only your total bilirubin is raised and the rest are normal. This could be because of several reasons.
Get an ultrasound abdomen done and also do a complete blood count to start with and make sure all that is normal.

I urge you to see a general physician/gastroenterologist at your place to analyses all results and help you with coming at some answers. If you are unable to find any doctors, you can post the complete reports here, I can give you my opinion.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor