Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Liver function test and lipid profile test done. Suggest some remedy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 2094 Questions
I recently went for a Liver Function Test and Lipid Profile and the results are as follows;
Bilirubin Total - 0.5
Bilirubin Direct - 0.1
Total Protein - 7.4
Serum Albumin - 4.6
Serum Globulin - 2.8
Albumin To Globulin Ratio - 1.6
SGOT (AST) - 41
SGPT (ALT) - 125
Alkaline Phosphate (ALP) - 117
GGT - 188
My Lipid Profile results were as follows;
Cholestrol Total - 199
Triglycerides - 116
HDL Cholestrol - 47
LDL Cholestrol - 129
VLDL Cholestrol - 23
Cholestrol : HDL Ratio - 4:2
Can you kindly advice as to what remedy i should do to get back to normal.
Thanks & Regards
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query here.

Your Liver function shows raised liver enzymes namely SGPT 125 and GGT 188, both are elevated and other parameter in Liver function are normal.

I would like to know following:
1) Have suffered Hepatitis (Jaundice) recently.
2) Do you take Alcohol (Drink) or Smoke
3) Are you over weight?
4) Do you have Diabetes or Fatty Liver?
5) Any positive family history of Diabetes, heart Disease, High B.P.

Your lipid profile report is normal except LDL which is 129 mg/dl slightly high if there is any other risk factor.

Please reduce intake of saturated fats like butter, Ghee, and coconut oil, and XXXXXXX fried items in diet.

Please take up regular exercise and repeat Lipid profile after 6 months.

Once you give detail information, I will be able to answer your query in detail.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Liver function test and lipid profile test done. Suggest some remedy 4 hours later
Hi Dr.Akhilesh,

Pls find the answers to your queries.

1) I had jaundice back in 2007.
2) I take alchohol regularly. Used to smoke till one month bck.
3) I am 5'10" and my weight is 102kgs. Pls advice whether ia m overweight.
4) I dont have diabetes. Along with the LFT and Lipid profile, i had done a check on FBS and PPBS. The scores are
FBS - 93
PPBS - 106
Reagrding fatty liver i havent done any test. Is there any specific test for that. If yes, kindly advice.
5) My mom is a diabetic for last 35 years.

Hope my reply suffice your requirement for a detailed advice.

Also do advice me on the medication part too.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your input,

I am glad to know that you have stopped smoking.

Based on the details provided, the cause for elevated liver enzyme is most likely linked to alcohol intake. You should quit taking alcohol, if not at least take it in moderation (not more than 60ml/day).

You've had history of jaundice in 2007. Was it due to Hepatitis B?

Your weight is above normal recommendation. You can be classified as overweight. This has effects on both blood sugars and lipid profile. It is good to know that your blood sugars are normal and that you do not suffer with diabetes.

At this point of time, my advice would be to stop taking alcohol. Take up diet plan and regular exercise to reduce weight gradually. In addition avoid taking any medications over the counter without consulting a doctor. Few drugs have effects on liver enzymes.
Liver enzymes improve with time when all the above suggestions are practised religiously.

Fatty liver can be easily diagnosed with Ultrasonography of upper abdomen. If Fatty liver is detected OBT (UDCA) may be taken after consulting a local Physician.

Hope this information will help you to plan; if there is any further query please let me know otherwise please close this discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Liver function test and lipid profile test done. Suggest some remedy 11 hours later
Hi Dr.Akhilesh,

Thanks for your inputs.

I would stop the intake of alcohol for sometime. Can you tell me for how long should i stop to get back to normal so that, further onwards i can have a controlled life.

Can i take Liv 52. If yes, what would be the dosage per day?

Would surely go in for ultrasonography and will keep you posted on the result.

Can you advice me as to what kind of diet i have to follow?

Can i take Tonact TG for cholestrol problem. If yes, what dosage can i have per day?

Would Seacod active capsules help me in any ways. If yes, what dosage can i have?

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

It is good that you want to stop alcohol. Once there is benefit in your health, you would like to quit alcohol completely.

Certainly you can get an Ultrasonography of abdomen and inform me.

A balanced, low-calorie diet is good for gradual weight loss.

Vitamins, minerals and unsaturated fatty acids have to be added to the basic protein-carbohydrate diet.

Omega 3 fatty acid supplementation can be taken.

It would be unethical to prescribe any medicine without examination, my request would be to consult Physician nearby and get the proper prescription. Please do not take any medicine by yourself including Liv 52.

Please keep me informed about progress.
Kindly rate my answer and you can close this discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor