Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Little lubrication during sex, sore, labia minora swollen, irritated. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
i had sex for a long time two nights ago and there was very little lubrication. i was sore - which i assumed was normal and figured this would go away within 24 hours. i have had sex before and been sore and that has been the case. but now my lower left labia minora is still swollen (the only part still swollen, everything else has subsided) and feels very irritated. i am very concerned about this. should i be? what could be the problem? we had oral sex as well.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 31 minutes later

Thank you for your query. There are 2 possibilities for the swelling you have in left labia minora.

1) Due to lack of lubrication the skin and tissue around vagina will be under friction and trauma. This trauma leads to inflammation and edema as a defense mechanism of body. But it will gradually come down.

2) During oral sex, your partner's teeth might have accidentally injured your labia minora and hence there could be trauma and edema as defense mechanism of the body.

Don’t worry too much about it as it happens to many couple during sex and resolves spontaneously.

My advice would be not to have sexual intercourse for another 2 days till the edema comes down as it will increase trauma. If there is wound please clean the wound with soap and water.

When having sexual intercourse next time, please use lubricant jelly and see to it that teeth does not induce trauma and wound.

I will be available for any follow-up questions. If there are no questions, please accept my answer.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Little lubrication during sex, sore, labia minora swollen, irritated. Should I be concerned? 9 hours later
thank you for your answer.
i am concerned about stds (not b/c my partner has been diagnosed with any and i have never been either - in fact i was tested within the last month and had none, but the thought of having one terrifies me) so can you answer the following questions as i am looking at myself every minute looking for other symptoms:

if this was the sign of an std would it have appeared this soon?

if it was an std would there be other symptoms and what should i be looking for?

would my partner be experiencing the same symptoms if it were an std?

since edema is fluid retention shouldn't there be something to drain?

if it were, wouldn't my whole vagina be affected?

i am still concerned b/c that one side of my labia is sore.

thank you
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

-This is unlikely to be STD ( sexually transmitted disease ) as it has emerged immediately after sex. It is more of traumatic than STD.

- If it is is STD, it might lead to forming an ulcer or have a purulent dicharge and foul smelling discharge. It might take more than 10 days for symptoms to start.

- If it were to be STD, your partner might be experiencing the same symptoms.

- Edema of this sort cannot be drained. It will be absorbed back slowly by itself. This will be in tissues not just free liquid in cavity. Hence cant be drained.

- Whole vagina ned not be affected. Lack of lubrication is more afected at the entry of vagina or labia.

- Sore vagina takes time to heal. wait for 10 days and keep it clean by washin with soap and water.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor