Liquid filled boil in groin area. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a boil in my groin area - very very large 6" long 3" wide and about 2" XXXXXXX - it came to a head and burst on its own on 1-1-13 - I still have a discharge and now a lump (no pain) about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide - the boil is still draining - a clear liquid - original drainage was yellow/red and lumpy - what should I be doing? The boil erupted where I originally have had a small lump for 30+ years - currently I wash - apply hot cloth and am applying antibiotic cream and covering with bandage
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 13 minutes later

As per your description what you seem to have is a furuncle (boil). Such a large boil needs a good treatment. Though it burst and discharging, it is still not completely cured. You need to consult board certified surgeon for careful examination. A proper and complete drainage of the boil needs to be done under trained guidance to avoid recurrence.

You need a broad spectrum antibiotics coverage. I am not sure if your current antibiotic has similar potentials. Therefore I urge you to consult a doctor at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Any follow up are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 22 hours later
I am not able to see doctor. taking.tumeric ...any advise ..should I use a hot bottle for suction

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.

Don't use turmeric, it will increase the infection. Also no use of hot water bottle. It is useless for suction.

I repeat, proper drainage of boil is necessary for complete recovery and avoiding recurrence. Please consult your surgeon as soon as possible.

Hope your query has been answered.

Thanking you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E