Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Lipid profile test done. Have donated 1 kidney. What are the risks? How can i control lipid profile?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
i tirlok singh a male 41 yr old. my lipid profile report is on 30 XXXXXXX 2012 is as.... S.Cholesterol ...142 mg/dl S.Triglycerides ...270 mg/dl HDL C ...40 mg/dl, LDL C... 48 mg/dl VLDL C ...54 mg/dl TC/HDLC RATIO .... 3.5 LDLC/HDLC RATIO ....1.2 Pl. tell me how can i control my lipid profile and is their is any risk to me ? i also donate my left side kidney in 2005 XXXXXXX to my brother. pl help me.
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified cardiologist and read your mail with diligence.

At age 41, you have some identified risk factors for coronary artery disease; others you can fill in by personal knowledge and investigations. The idea is if you have a back ground of more known risk factors your chances of pain (even atypical pain) originating as a result of heart are much more.

At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-

Diabetes +/-
Hypertension +/-
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component*
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/- *
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have some risk factors. If these are on drugs, that is uncontrolled perhaps you will have to take two drug combination or increase the dose of Atorvastatin. Therefore, I will strongly recommend consulting your doctor; he may complete the list as well do the EKG which may tell us more. And it is his call to start the drug.
It is never too late to change. With your diet/exercise/drrugs everything you do will have to be under supervision. It need not be cardiologist but your primary doctor can guide your way back to health - I am happy to read your anxiety to get back to normal. You may need drugs and he/she (or ask the dietitian) to advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control for you do not want other attack. If you like non vegetarian you cannot take red meat but there is no bar (in taking certainly quantity had to be less) on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish.

“For the time being the way you have described the pain it does not look cardiac, yet it is precursor of worse things. Sooner you take advice from professional better quality of life you are going to have.”

Hope you found something useful in this answer. If you have any follow-up query I shall be happy to answer.

Regards and Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor