Link between taking fish oil and anemia?

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: is there a link between taking fish oil and anemia?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Hello
Fish oil pills are very good at providing us with natural vitamins such as omega 3 fatty acids. It is not directly related to iron storage in our body. Neither do fish oil contains iron nor do they help with the iron absorption. You need to take extra iron supplements to combat anemia. If you wish, you can keep taking fish oil as well. It will do you good even if not related to your anemia.

Vitamin C is important in facilitating iron storage. Taking Vitamin C supplements will help in iron absorption from the food.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN