Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Light, short periods, clots. Is this normal? Lower abdomen pain, have cyst

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14997 Questions
I have been having very clotty but light and short periods lately. Is this normal? I have had a cyst recently could this be the problem? I have a lot of pain in my lower abdoman and feel very full in there
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

It sounds like hypomenorrhoea.
Hypomenorrhoea , also known as short or scanty periods, is extremely light menstrual flow.
The causes include: ovarian cysts can cause lighter periods in a small number of women with this condition, so this may be contributing to your symptoms
use of oral contraceptives, depoprovera,IUD
asherman's syndrome (the presence of scar tissue or adhesions in the uterus, this usually occurs in women who may have a history of previous D and C (dilation and curretage)
excess physical activity or inadequate nutrition can also cause hypomenorrhoea
hormonal problems such as excess of a hormone called prolactin, thyroid hormone abnormalities, or abnormal level of the reproductive hormones
Hypomenorrhoea is normally investigated , if thought necessary, by blood tests and imaging if the doctor thinks this is warrented. If a significant abnormality is found on investigations then this is treated (like your cyst) , in most cases nil is found and only reassurence is given.

Ovarian cysts can be associated with pain if the cyst becomes larger, bleeds , breaks open , reduced blood supply or contact is made during intercourse. It can also be associated with bloating (hence the full sensation that you are experiencing), you may also experience pain during bowel movements and after and before a menstrual period.

Most cysts tend to resolve after 8 to 12 weeks , so hopefully you should feel better soon. Your doctor may suggest repeated ultrasounds to assess the size.If it does not resolve then surgery may be considered.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor