Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Leaking feeding tube, only taking IV fluids. How can I speed up the re-fixing of the tube?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
My dad has a feeding tube that is leaking - they won't use it . scan show it is in correct place. awaiting Gi consultant visit. Only having iv fluids - very concerened ! has parkinsons. Had MRSA infection in tube site - now clear.
Has a swallow and taking about 6 spoonfuls of food a day !!!! i was a nurse and
asked for NG feeding but told due to curvature of spine- tricky to pass (mmm)
We want him home to look after him in his last days but need tube for medication and fluids.
I am unhappy with the lack of speed re fixing of tube as looks about six possibly less stone now. I am not looking for a cure we just want him home for a month.
how can i get them to pass NG !!!!!!!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern. Sometimes it becomes really difficult to pass an NG tube due to spine curvatures. In such cases you can ask his gastroenterologist to do an endoscopic guided NG tube insertion.
This can help him take some oral feed and medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor