Leakage while jogging and sneezing. Had ultra sound on bladder result showed uterus lining of 0.7. What does it mean?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Thu, 23 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi I recently had a an ultra sound on my bladder and saw my GP today to get the results. I'm thinking of going for a lift on my bladder to control leakage when jogging..sneezing..ect. Anyway, the results of the ultra sound noted my uterus lining is 0.7 and my Doctor wants to send me for an appointment with a specialist. He felt that was high for my age..57years and wants to make sure there are no abnormal cells in the lining of uterus. I'm feeling confused and nervous. Is my lining considered thick or in danger for a woment my age?? My health is good and I have always been very fit and active. Please let me know your thoughts??Thanks
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A uterine lining of 0.7, is greater than normal, but not very unusual for women of your age. Interpretation of such results is usually based on other clinical variables.

When did you get into menopause?
Any use of hormones?
Any notion of abnormal bleeding? It’s very important to note.

Endometrial thickening called endometrial hyperplasia deserves a very proper and systematic clinical evaluation.

It is of utmost importance to know if the cells are abnormal or normal, for an early and adapted intervention.

It is therefore reasonable for you to XXXXXXX your gynecologist for portions of the uterus to be scraped and examined for any pathologic lesions. In your case however, lack of classical symptoms of uterine cancer like abnormal bleeding, I presume you are not bleeding any more, make the diagnosis of uterine cancer very low. A control ultrasound in case of normality of clinical evaluation and pathological analysis might be useful at some point in time.

As of now, I suggest you stay calm and unmoved for now, as you wait for your appointment with the gynecologist. You do not present any way with classical clinical signs of uterine cancer. But the mild thickening of the uterus deserves a keen evaluation for an appropriate diagnosis, and timely intervention if needed.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi..thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
To answer your questions...have not had a period for 15 years and never taken any hormones and no signs of bleeding or spotting since my period stop.
What is the normal thickness of the lining is normal for my age???
If the results come back normal can I live with this thickness of the lining or will surgery/cleaning be needed??
I know I'm jumping ahead but this is all new and scary for me.
Shirls
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The actual cut off point for an abnormal endometrium does not actually exist. Less than 5cm is considered very normal. However, it is recommended that for post menopausal women, an endometrial thickness of greater than 7-8 deserves a biopsy to exclude any hyperplasia or malignancy.

As I mentioned earlier, lack of classical symptoms of uterine hyperplasia or malignancy such as abnormal bleeding makes that chances of you having a malignancy very low. But considering the fact that your uterine thickness is borderline, its therefore encouraged to undergo a gynecological evaluation and a uterine biopsy to exclude any possible problem. This gives a peace of mind, an if at all there are any abnormal, which is less probable of course, early effective measures could be taken.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj