Last night in bed I awoke about 3am with a

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Last night in bed I awoke about 3am with a very strong pulse(pounding?), as if my arteries were being pumped up(also now). This has been happening most nights. I have limited my alcohol and caffeine intake, but I still have these events. I usually breath/meditate and fall back asleep, but very groggy in the a.m. vitals 12/2018: 6 ft tall, 192lbs, BP 111/63, pulse 56. tinnitus in rt ear, head ct scheduled for possible tumor in ear canal due to some dizziness, I'm going to ask for an ekg...thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

I see that you are concerned about a brain tumour, and I don't blame you if that was the opinion of your Doctor.

In regards, I should say that possible causes of tinnitus (ringing in the ear) are several and cerebellopontine angle tumours account for a small percentage of these symptoms.

I agree with the fact that an EKG is necessary, but, I would go further, in my opinion, Holter monitoring is necessary to evaluate possible blood pressure changes and any arrhythmia...

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 49 minutes later
Thank you for the suggestions for ekg and holter monitoring. i'll get a bp device for home use right away and ask my doc about the holter and ekg.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Okay.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Glad I helped you.

Feel free to discuss with me for your health issues.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T