Last Sunday I went for a blood check and everything

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Last Sunday I went for a blood check and everything was normal except elevated Bilirubin level.

Total Bilirubin 1.21
Direct Bilirubin .32
Indirect Bilirubin .89
Alkaline Phosphatase 95.6
GGT 28.5
SGOT 20.2
SGOT 20.1
Protein 7
Albumin 4.6
Serum Globulin 2.4

I was not having any symptoms? I was worried about elevated Bilirubin level and was only taking comfort food for last 7 days ( curd rice and idly). One week, later today I got it checked and my levels are

Total Bilirubin 1.9
Direct Bilirubin .7
Indirect Bilirubin 1.2
Alkaline Phosphatase 136
SGOT 17
SGPT 22
Protein 7.2
Albumin 4.7
Serum Globulin 2.5

I am worried about my bilirubin levels. Can you please help me understand the possible reason for this elevation.

Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 3 minutes later
I am male, 40 Yrs. Taking Telmikind H for blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is physiological variant and does not indicates any disease condition.

Detailed Answer:
In some individuals the bilirubin levels are slightly elevated persistently, It can be also seen in some harmless conditions called “Gilbert diseaese” also .It is physiological change and does not indicates any significant disease condition.
In your case the enzymes are within normal limits and you are not asymptomatic also. So it is of no clinical significance.
You can recheck the liver function test after two weeks to check whether it is rising or not.
You can consult with a gastroenterologist for reassurance.
Wishing all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 18 hours later
Sir, I went for Ultra Sound of abdomen and nothing abnormal was found. The report of the same is enclosed. Are any further evaluations needed ? Should I follow any restrictions with respect to my diet ?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue normal diet.

Detailed Answer:
You can continue normal diet,
You can repeat the liver function test after two weeks to check whether it is increased or not.
Nothing much to worry regarding this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 8 days later
Sir, I did my blood check for Bilirubin. The following are the results, Total Bilirubin - 2.1 , Direct - 0.16 . Sir, any problem with persistently high level of Bilirubin. I am perfectly normal and no symptoms. Should I undertake any further evaluations? Do let me know, Sir.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be a XXXXXXX Not that much significant.

Detailed Answer:
Most probably you are having something called “ XXXXXXX syndrome” or other related conditions.
There is slight alteration in your bilirubin metabolism and thus leads to minimally elevated bilirubin level.
In your case bilirubin in slightly elevated but you don’t have any symptoms like jaundice.
As of now no treatment is required and no need to worry about the bilirubin values.
You can consult a gastroenterologist for reassurance.
Wishing all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj