Large, round, soft swelling appeared on hand. Used ice on it. Chances of broken capillary?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my son's girlfriend just punched a wall and now has a large, round, soft swelling on her hand just behind the juncture of the thumb and first finger. does not appear to be increasing in size.. have place ice on it. could this be from a broken capillary?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

It might be a soft tissue injury or fracture at the base of thumb. Swelling appeared around this could be due to the collection of blood from ruptured microvasculature.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest her to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. She may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, Beside icing and elevating it, she can take anti-inflammatory drug like motoring to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.
Wishing you good health....

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E